Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Chicken Enchilada Pockets

I love searching for new food blogs, especially ones that already have healthier versions of the food I love.  I came across a new one called Dashing Dish.  You can check out her website Here.  So I came across her recipe of Chicken Enchilada Pockets and though, I love Chicken Enchilada's and I also love crescent rolls, so why not try them together.

I myself did not make this recipe, my wonderful friend Meredith did, I was just a taste tester, but it was delicious! So I had to share the recipe with you to see what you think.

(note: all pictures and directions came from the Dashing Dish website)

Serving size: 1 pocket
Servings: 8 pockets
Calories: 155
Weight Watchers: 5 Points Plus


Ingredients:

  • 1 package reduced fat crescent rolls
  • 1/2 (8oz) package fat free cream cheese
  • 1/2 cup reduced fat mexican blend grated cheese (or mozzarella/2% cheddar)
  • 1 cup chicken, cooked and diced (or pulled)
  • 1/2 cup enchilada sauce (or taco sauce/salsa)
  • 1 tbs enchilada seasoning, (or taco/any mexican seasoning)
  • Optional: for a bit of spice try adding 1/4 cup canned green chiles to the mix!

Method:

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a sheet pan with foil, (for easy clean up) and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
13
2. Cut cream cheese in half, (save the rest for later) and place in a medium sized bowl.
3. Pour grated cheese in the bowl with the cream cheese. Microwave for 45-60 seconds to soften cheeses, making them easier to combine.
4. Stir to combine cheese.
5. Pour sauce into bowl with cheese, and stir to combine.
6. Add spice mix and stir. (I also added a tsp of stevia here because I personally like a bit of sweet to balance out the saltiness in almost every dish!)
19
7. Add chopped chicken, and stir until everything is well mixed.
8. Unroll and separate crescent rolls on prepared baking sheet in preparation to make the pockets.
9. Scoop about 1/8th cup (or a heaping tbs) of chicken mixture into the center of the largest part of the crescent roll.
10. Pull outer corners of the crescent over the chicken mixture.
25
11. Pull the ‘long’ segment of the crescent roll dough over the ‘tucked’ corners to make a pocket that fully encloses the chicken filling. (Note: There is no real art to this, in fact I did each one a little differently, and they all turned out great! The only real key is to make sure the chicken filling is fully enclosed by the dough so it won’t spill out when baking!)
12. To make the top look like a little pocket, I twisted the dough to a point on top. I sprinkled some additional cheese on top of each one just before baking, but this is certainly optional!
7
13. Bake at 375 for 15 Minutes, or until top of crescent rolls are golden brown.
14. Serve warm, and Enjoy! Store leftovers in the refrigerator, or freeze within 5 days, (if they last that long!) 
IMG_5570

3 comments:

  1. YUM! I'm gonna have to try these!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anything with the word pocket in the title is going to be awesome. (-:

    ~Kathryn

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look so good, I will definitely be trying these soon

    ReplyDelete