Thursday, January 5, 2012

Turkey Taco Lettuce Wraps

I found this recipe on Pinterest and discovered it's actually on Skinnytaste.com which is a site that I find lots of healthy recipes!  There were pretty delicious and I can use the leftover meat to make a taco salad or something.


Nutritional Infomation:
Servings: 4
Serving Size: 2 taco wraps
Calories: 134
Fat: 1.7 g
Carb: 9.7 g
Fiber: 2.4 g
Protein: 21.3 g
Sugar: 4.3 g


Ingredients:

  • 1 lb. 99% lean ground turkey (I actually used ground chicken)
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp chili powder
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • 1/2 tsp oregano
  • 1/2 small onion, minced
  • 2 tbsp bell pepper, minced
  • 3/4 cup water
  • 4 oz can tomato sauce
  • 8 lauge lettuce leaves from Iceberg lettuce

Method:

1.  Brown turkey (or chicken) in a large skillet.  
Using my new tool my mom got me for Christmas
Cooking in my new apron :)
2.  When no longer pink, add dry seasonings and mix well. 
3.  Add onion, pepper, water and tomato sauce and cover.
4.  Simmer on low for 20-30 minutes.
5.  Wash and dry the lettuce.  
6.  Place meat in the center of leaf and top with tomatoes, cheese, salsa, sour cream (any or all of the above).  Extra toppings are extra calories. 

I had small pieces of lettuce so I made 3 small ones.
 You really could simply add a taco seasoning mix to the ground meat, but making your own uses less sodium, no sugar, no preservatives, and no msg.  I would recommend this to anyone!


1 comment: